Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Jeff Healey 1966 2008

Back in the mid 1980's I was heavily involved in Toronto's Queen Street blues scene. I had a group called The Alexander-Willms band. The rhythm section consisted of Joe Rockman on bass and Tom Steven on drums. One night we all gathered at The Birds Nest on Queen to set up for a gig only to be told that we were double booked and the other band had already set up. I was so pissed off, having driven in from Waterloo, that I said I need a break and sort of disbanded the group. Tom and Joe went to Grossmans Tavern later that night, met Jeff Healey and the Jeff Healey band was born. The rest, as they say, is rock and roll history. Jeff and I became good friends and I played on stage with him many times....so many stories could be told. Jeff died Sunday night of the cancer that dogged him his entire life and there is this big hole in my heart. The 45 pictured above is the first record he ever made...first pressing...signed by the band. Such genius only comes along every once in a while and he will be greatly missed!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great tribute to a very talented and courageous man.

IMW

Anonymous said...

Dave, I too was fortunate enough to have met Jeff and the boys, back around 1980ish. They played the Team Cannabis Hockey Tournment in Trout Creek (the capitol of Powassan). A buddy of mine had seen them in TO and ended-up booking them as the band for the Saturday night party.
I rode back to the Bay with them in their van and we partied the night away.
I ended-up meeting up with them on a number of occassions over the years and the fun times continued. My daughter fell in love with the song Angel Eyes and so I took my ex and the kids to see him at Wylders, with the Jazz Wizards. I introduced her to him and she had her picture taken with him - that was real special for her.
Anyway, I also have the very same single as pictured, along with some posters/etc. I could never bring myself to asking them to sign them - oh well.
Thanks for the tribute Dave...fare well Jeff...we'll hope to see you on the other side.

Love from your brother,
Michael "Pickleman" Pettigrew